- GPS Address: 1633 Burroughs Memorial Road, Roxbury, New York 12474
- Zone: Shandaken to Margaretville
- Phone Number: 845-254-6025
- Website URL: http://www.woodchucklodge.org
- Activities: Historic Houses, History, Nature Shop, Scenic
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jburroughs.woodchucklodge
John Burroughs (1837-1921), writer and naturalist, creator of the nature essay as a literary form, and father, along with Teddy Roosevelt, John Muir, and others, of the American conservation movement, was born in Roxbury. He returned to his homestead farm in old age to spend summers at a little house built by his brother in the 1860s. John named it Woodchuck Lodge for the furry rodents that abounded.
The non-profit Woodchuck Lodge Inc. maintains this landmark, which is open for free tours the first weekend of the month from May through October, 11-3, Saturdays and Sundays.
To Make You Smile
• Picnic table
• Beautiful views
• Lodge shop with handmade items from nature, books
• Short walk to Burroughs' gravesite, a State Historic Site
• Peace and quiet!
"Wild Saturdays," a series of nature and history programs the first Saturday of the month, May through October, at 1 p.m.